Thursday 12 February 2009

News from Ahmedabad

Life since we reached the Shahs' wonderful, modern house (Snehel is an architect) has been really fantastic. Sujata is a truly talented cook, what she can do with vegetables, pulses, grain and spices is a treat for the taste buds and the eye and the nose too. We are being looked after, taken out and entertained in a very generous and friendly way and we are profoundly greatfull,

One of the treats we have been offered is to join the Shah family when they attend the wedding of the child of a cousin of Snehels'. As you can immagine this is an opportunity not to be missed, a Hindu wedding is a feast for every sense, but not to be entertained in our present disreputable traverlers clothing.

I am glad to report that the shopping embargo has been well and truly breached. I have bought fabric in a shop that would make my fellow textile friends weep for joy. Bolts of cloth in every colour, texture, pattern and state of embelishment that you could wish to see, some very resonably priced to stuff that must have been very expensive even here. The staff in the shop were willing to take down endless bolts of cloth and let one hold it up, feel the texture, try and match colours and advise on fabric content etc, none of the serve your self malarky.

I have bought stuff for a trouser/top combo that I think is really nice and that will look not too exotic to wear at home and have been measured up and it is being made up as I type. The tailor lives across the way from the Shahs and Sujata has known him since he was a by and played with Sunina. once we hace the card reader sorted I hope to be able to show you my outfit. Sadly, because of all ths hospitality I have regained any weight I managed to lose in Jordan and Egypt, so I will look as chuky as ever.

Brian has also been measured for trousers and a Kurti (mid thigh Indian gents shirt) and trousers. He also had to be taken to a shop to choose fabric and has a very tasteful raw silk in creams and pale browns, the natural colours of the silk. We both have new sandles as well. We will have to post stuff home, but there you go!

Tessa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're taking notes so the meals can be recreated at home!

Lam Chun See said...

Hi Brian. So glad and surprised that you could still find the time to drop by my blog. Must confess that I am having a tough time keeping up with your adventures.

Happy to hear that you are fine and having a good time, other than that unhappy episode with the lost camera.

Anyway, we are all waiting for your arrival here in a Spore that you certainly would not recognise. Hope you still have enough energy left to go exploring the old places with us. Just the other day, I got lost at the Old Tampines Road near to Paya Lebar airport. They have built even more expressways there.

Anonymous said...

Hi B&T You sound like you're having an amazing time. So envious of you being in India - bet the weather's a bit better than in Glasgow right now!

Anonymous said...

When you wrote that you were "profoundly greatfull" for the amazing food you've been having, I guess you meant you were Full of Great food!
I'm certainly grateful that you're able and willing to send such detailed reports to those of us whose greatest excitement this morning was waking up to the 1st frost-free day for heaven-knows- how-long.
Di and Phil